Gambling Research Australia have released a major report into the use of social media and gambling. This research was commissioned to identify and describe the availability and promotion of gambling and social casino game opportunities via social media, whether there has been a transition between social casino game play and gambling; and the potential for social media to be used to promote responsible gambling.
Conducted by academics from the Centre for Gambling Education and Health at Southern Cross University, The University of Adelaide and the Centre for Youth Gambling and High Risk Behaviours at McGill University, the report includes substantial Australian research into the convergence of social media, social gaming and gambling.
The report is comprised of:
- A detailed literature review;
- Interviews with social casino game players, gamblers, gambling operators, and key stakeholders ;
- An audit of Australian gambling operator's use of social media
- A case study of how gambling & social casino games are advertised on Facebook; and
- Results from a survey of 1,554 adults and 561 adolescents investigating their engagement with gambling operators on social media, use of social casino games, use of practice games, and gambling.