If you are experiencing financial difficulties linked to gambling, free, confidential and professional help is available.
Financial counselling can aid in alleviating the stress associated with debt and provide you with assistance and advice that helps you address the problems, move forward and get your finances back under control.
Financial counsellors are qualified professionals who offer a free, confidential and non-judgmental service.
A financial counsellor may be able to assist you by:
- doing a full assessment of your financial situation - to help you fully understand your position
- providing advice on how to negotiate with creditors
- negotiating directly with your creditors (in certain circumstances)
- providing advice about what rights, options and responsibilities you may have
- referring you to other assistance and relief services you may need
Financial counsellors are available via phone or face to face and can be contacted via the National Debt Helpline (NDH).
You can call the Financial Counselling Hotline (Mon-Fri 9:30am - 4:00pm) on 1800 007 007
Throughout Australia there are also a number of state/territory gambling specific financial counselling services:
Financial counselling services in New Zealand can be readily accessed through the Gambling Debt Helpline.
This service provides experienced financial counsellors who are trained to provide specialist gambling debt crisis counselling for gamblers, their partners, family and others.
Services are provided on a free basis regardless of financial background.
New Zealanders can contact the Gambling Debt Helpline 24/7 on 0800 654 658
Some further useful links include: